Option 1: Spectate
Come out to either one of the monthly solo slams on the first Tuesday of every month at Loft 112 (#112 – 535 8 Ave SE, Calgary, Alberta) or to the provincial slam on May 13 and 14, 2016 (if you come to the provincial slam in May, remember to bring a non-perishable food item to pay your admission cost).
Option 2: Start a Club
To start a club, check out the “How to Start a High School Poetry Team” page in the “For the Clubs” menu. This will inevitably lead to option 3, which is:
Option 3: Enter a Team
To enter a team or club in the competition, you will need to work through a number of steps:
- Form a club or team and start working on your poetry.
- Before February 29, 2016, complete the Intent to Compete form.
- Have the student poets keep working on writing, revising, memorizing, and performing their poems. Encourage them to participate in a poetry slam in Calgary for practice (and fun!). Or start your own local poetry slam.
- Mention to your design studies teacher that there is a logo and poster design competition for grade 10 and 11 students. Encourage them to enter a logo and poster design. The winning design will be featured on the promotional materials in the following year. For all the rules, check out the Design Contest page.
- Before March 25, 2016, complete the Registration Form and send a cheque for $250 (made out to Ernest Manning High School) to Richard Wagner c/o Ernest Manning High School, 20 Springborough Blvd. SW, Calgary, AB, T3H 0N7. Congratulations! You’re entered in Can You Hear Me Now? (If you need an invoice in order to generate a cheque, please email Richard Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Keep the student poets working on their pieces. Strongly encourage them to memorize their pieces as this usually results in better performances, and therefore scores. Consider bringing in an experienced and local slam or performance poet to help your students with their writing.
- Email copies of your the poems your students are planning to perform at the slam to Richard Wagner (email@example.com) by Friday, April 8, 2016 so these can be included in the book we publish. (Poets are free to keep revising and improving their poems after submitting them for publication, but we need copies of the poems by this date to get the book together and published in time for CYHMN? on May 13 and 14.)
- Have the teacher sponsor for the team attend the information evening on April 25, 2016 at 4:30 p.m. at Ernest Manning High School (or arrange to Skype in for the meeting).
- Show up to your first bout on Friday, May 13 and give amazing performances!
Option 3: Volunteer at an Event
Check out the Volunteer section to find a job that has been made with you, and only you, in mind.
You can email us directly if you would be willing to perform one of these roles (firstname.lastname@example.org).
And thank you!
Option 4: Host an Event
Please email us directly if you can host an event. The requirements of the space are described below:
Preliminary bouts will need a theatre or other performance space with microphones and a sound board that will be able to accommodate four teams of eight performers (plus a teacher sponsor), at least five volunteers, as well as spectators.
Option 5: Sponsor Our Event
If you or a company you represent are interested in sponsoring our competition, please email us using the email link below.
For all other inquires please email us!