CYHMN?, with the assistance of The Ink Spot Collective and several Calgary high schools, is pleased to announce monthly events for Calgary-area school-aged poets to develop their writing and performance skills.
Writers’ workshops will focus on the writing and revision of poems, with an emphasis placed on developing ideas, choosing effective and powerful language, using concrete and powerful imagery, as well as working within the three minute time limit required at poetry slams.
The open-mic event will provide an opportunity for student poets to perform the poems they have been working on in front of a crowd, and to see how a crowd responds to their writing and performance.
- Writers’ Workshop 1 – Tuesday, October 28 – 4:30 to 6:30 – Lord Beaverbrook High School (9019 Fairmount Dr. SE)
- Writers’ Workshop 2 – Saturday, November 29 – 1 to 5 – Bishop Grandin High School (111 Haddon Rd SW)
- CYHMN? Open Mic – Thursday, December 4 – 6:30 – 9:30 – Father Lacombe High School (3615 Radcliffe Dr. SE)
- Writers’ Workshop 3 – Saturday, February 28 –1 to 5 – Lord Beaverbrook High School (9019 Fairmount Dr. SE)
- Writers’ Workshop 4 – Tuesday, March 10 – 4:30 – 6:30 – Robert Thirsk High School (8777 Nose Hill Dr. NW)
- CYHMN? 2015 Poetry Slam – Friday, April 17 and Saturday, April 18 – Lord Beaverbrook High School (9019 Fairmount Dr. SE) and Robert Thirsk High School (8777 Nose Hill Dr. NW)
If you are interested in bringing students to a workshop or the open mic, or for more information about any of the events, please email Richard Wagner (firstname.lastname@example.org).